Home | Editor's Choice | Hundreds of Syrian Rebels Evacuate Homs After Reconciliation Deal

Hundreds of Syrian Rebels Evacuate Homs After Reconciliation Deal


Syrian rebels and their families left the last opposition-held district of the city of Homs on Sunday, after the implementation of a reconciliation deal that will put the city back under the control of the Assad government.

“The city of Homs is completely clear of weapons and militants after completing the reconciliation deal in al-Waer district,” Homs Governor Talal Barazi said, according to Syrian state media.

Government forces supported by the Russian military have moved in to many areas in al-Waer, a district in Northwestern Homs, to oversee the evacuation.

Some of the evacuating rebels were unhappy with the terms of the agreement, but say that have no choice but to leave.

“These are people that have not accepted the terms of the national reconciliation movement,” said Al Jazeera’s Mohammed Jamjoom, who spoke to some of the rebels.

“They say that these terms are being imposed on them by the Syrian regime, by the Russians, by their Iranian allies as well.”

The deal is the fourth phase of an agreement reached last year that also saw the evacuation of 14,000 people in its prior stages, 3,700 of them rebels, allowed to leave with their light weapons.

Some 700 fighters, 3,000 people including their families, left Homs in buses on Saturday and Sunday.

“There is a deliberate strategy from the Syrian government in terms of retaking some of these areas is that they lay a siege on the area preventing all kinds of supplies from getting in, including food, medical supplies etc and then they indiscriminately attack these areas,” Ole Solvang, deputy director of emergencies at Human Rights Watch, told Al Jazeera last month.

Others among the fighters, however, wanted to leave the city.

“I don’t want to stay here. I’ll go to Idlib, and want to go on to Turkey and then Europe after that,” one fighter told Reuters without giving his name.

Despite the criticism from the opposition and some monitor groups, the reconciliation agreement marks a significant deescalation in violence in a brutal war that’s killed hundreds of thousands of people since 2011. The year-long siege on Homs is finally over.

Delivered by The Daily Sheeple

We encourage you to share and republish our reports, analyses, breaking news and videos (Click for details).

Contributed by Will Porter of The Daily Sheeple.

Will Porter is a staff writer and reporter for The Daily Sheeple. Wake the flock up – follow Will’s work at our Facebook or Twitter.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Human Verification: In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Check Also

YouTube Becomes GovTube with New Anti-Gun Rules

GovTube - that is, YouTube - which has become GovTube - has announced some draconian new policies regarding guns that appear to open wide the door for GovTube to all-but ban gun videos on the Neo-Puritanical social media video platform.

Cops Shoot Unarmed Dad In The Back, Kill Him For Holding a Phone in His Grandparents’ Backyard

Police officers ambushed a man in his family's backyard and fired several rounds into his back, killing him because they claimed the phone in his hand was a gun.